Do you have an idea for a HiTech web or mobile application that can change the world? What about the funding to bring your idea to reality? If you’re confident that you have both, it’s time to start your search for the HiTech app development partner that will help you build and launch your app.
Table of Content
The market for app development partners is more crowded than ever before. And while that means that there’s no lack of qualified teams out there that have the technical chops to help you, it also means that finding the best available talent can be a challenge.
Keep reading to receive tips on how to find the perfect HiTech app development partner for your needs.
Tips for Finding The Perfect HiTech App Development Partner
1. Determine what type of project you will be working on.
In order to find the perfect development partner, you’ll need to determine exactly what your project will entail.
App development projects typically fall into one of the following four categories:
- End-to-end app creation is when a company, usually a SMB, requires external assistance with each and every aspect of their application — from strategy and design, to development and sometimes even maintenance post-launch. If your project falls in this category, you’ll want to look for a full-service app development partner that has qualified specialists for each stage of production.
- Design and development is when you’ve already done some legwork to determine the specifications of your app, and you have a fairly precise business plan in mind. If your project falls in this category, you should be looking for development partners that focus primarily on UI/UX design and development. Working with one partner for both design and development is ideal in order to maintain consistency.
- Design only is when you already have a functional MVP, but you need help improving the existing design. Another reason your project might only require design is if you have a qualified team of developers who are able to build the remainder of the app in-house.
- Development only is when you already have the design ironed out for your application, but you need a team of developers as well as a project manager to oversee everything.
Coming to terms with the type of project you are working on, and where you currently stand, will help you begin to narrow down what type of HiTech app development partner you should be looking for.
2. Consider what your app will cost to develop, and set your budget.
The budget that you have available to you for your HiTech app development project will also dictate who your prospective partners are. Try to set your budget as early on in the process as possible.
Most of the time when it comes to HiTech app development, you get what you pay for. If a team is offering development services for a price that seems way too good to be true, then it probably is.
Be careful when evaluating cheaper development agencies, as they often overpromise and underdeliver in terms of what they’re able to provide.
If a potential partner comes back to you with a price that seems expensive, it’s most likely because their services are in high demand due to their talent.
The following graphic from Robosoft Technologies provides context for what to expect in terms of HiTech development costs in the US market.
If you’re looking for more information on what to expect when it comes to app development costs, be sure to read the following article:
- App Development Costs: What Should You Expect?
3. Leverage review sites like Clutch.co.
Once you have an idea of the budget you’re working with, it’s time to begin scouring review sites like Clutch.co.
There are currently more than 6,000 mobile app development companies listed on Clutch.co, which means that your perfect HiTech app development partner is out there somewhere.
Clutch.co uses verified customer reviews and analyst assessments of “Clients and Experiences” as well as “Market Presence.” By spending some time on Clutch.co searching for development teams that align with what you need to build, you’ll be able to create a pool of prospective partners who you can then follow up with individually to discuss your project in more depth.
First, take a look at all potential development partner’s past client reviews.
Next, make sure the listed budget ranges for each prospective partner are feasible for you.
Finally, begin reaching out to the HiTech development teams that match your criteria.
4. Be cautiously transparent during your initial conversations.
After browsing review sites like Clutch.co, it’s time to start having conversations with prospective partners.
During these conversations you should do your best to be transparent about your vision and plan without making yourself vulnerable to idea theft.
Begin by casually discussing a prospective partner’s experiences, past clients, and their specialties. Keep the conversation high-level, and if your application idea is sensitive, ask for a signed non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before going into precise detail about what you’re looking to build.
Once an NDA is in place, you can maintain confidentiality while discussing your idea in detail.
Now’s the time to share your documentation and plans with your potential partner so that they can assess the scope of work that needs to be completed, and determine whether or not they would like to submit a proposal.
Failing to provide potential partners with the big picture idea for your application opens you up to risks once the project gets rolling. You’re better off over-communicating in the early stages of the project in order to confirm that all parties are on exactly the same page from the get go.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask the hard questions.
It’s possible that even if you’ve followed these tips up until this point, you’ll still have some remaining questions for your prospective HiTech development partners.
Consider asking the questions from the following list that have not already been answered up until this point:
- Do you have the experience required for the work?
- What are your expectations from this project?
- Do you have the necessary knowledge about relevant modern trends in technology?
- How does your team manage deadlines?
- What are your personal expectations from this project?
- Is your team business minded?
- How would you describe your working style?
- Do you have expertise in any specific coding language?
- What does the project team look like?
- Who will the developers be? Are they full-time employees of your company? How long have they worked for you?
- What systems or tools do you use to do (X, Y, and Z)? Do you practice Agile or Waterfall methodology, or both?
- Who would be our main point of contact? How often would we communicate?
- What do you think of my business plan? Would you change anything about it?
- What do you consider to be the most challenging aspects of my project?
6. Remember that the BEST development team might not be BEST fit for your project.
It’s imperative to keep in mind that the highest rated, the largest, or the most known app development agency might not be the best fit for your particular project.
Finding the perfect HiTech app development partner is part science, part art.
Listen to your intuition as you discuss your project with your pool of potential partners. Does one team seem to just “get it?” Do you feel a natural collaborative chemistry with one partner over the others?
If so, it’s worth considering pursuing a partnership with a development agency that views your project as more than just a chance to bring in revenue, and that your gut tells you can deliver your ideal application, instead of throwing tons of money at the most prominent development teams out there.
Do your best to avoid rushing the process of finding and choosing the perfect HiTech app development partner.
Your decision should come from both your head and your heart as you evaluate teams with different skill sets, costs, and enthusiasm for your idea.