As 2021 was a very important 12 months for ASO, it’s now the right time to take a position the modifications in App Retailer Optimization we predict might happen in 2022. First, we’ll have a look again at our predictions for final 12 months earlier than presenting what we predict would be the ASO modifications to count on within the subsequent 12 months!
Table of Content
Reviewing our App Retailer Optimization predictions for 2021
Again in January final 12 months, our workforce predicted that the position of (and curiosity in) ASO would get stronger in 2021, notably following the rollout of Apple’s App Monitoring Transparency (ATT). We additionally anticipated to see retailer operators make some modifications to their providers to justify charges and behaviors within the face of authorized actions. Whereas not all of our extra particular predictions turned out to be true, on the entire, 2021 did ship on these anticipated traits:
- The buildup to ATT and its progressive rollout throughout Q3 did the truth is leadmany firms to speculate extra in Apple Search Adverts and direct ASO (highlighted via the trade’s growing demand for ASO positions).
- Apple did put money into new curation choices extra, although in a reasonably surprising approach with the discharge of in-app occasions (IAE) with iOS 15, presentingnew potentialities to have an app featured in varied locations on the App Retailer.
- Apple did additionally launchextra retailer advertising instruments, particularly with IAE, product web page optimization (PPO), and customized product pages (CPP) as a part of iOS 15, on prime of some much less impactful, much less shocking instruments (e.g., customized QR code generator for App Clips).
- Whereas neither Apple nor Google revamped their app or sport classes in 2021, Google did revamp and addmany new choices to its Play Retailer tags which builders can choose to offer Google with extra context across the expertise their app gives.
Total, a very powerful factor we famous throughout 2021 was how far Apple went to present builders with new advertising instruments to raised promote their apps with iOS 15, adopted by modifications from each Apple and Google round retailer charge insurance policies. Moreover, whereas we might imagine that 2021 was a quieter 12 months for Google, a number of modifications on Google Play are prone to carry over and have a bigger affect in 2022.
What to anticipate from App Retailer Optimization in 2022
1. Google Play to unveil new privateness coverage limiting entry to Google Promoting ID (GAID)
One of many modifications initiated on Google Play in 2021 regarded consumer privateness. To this point, Google has solely requested that builders fill in a kind to find out the information assortment practices detailed on their app retailer pages for a new privateness info part anticipated in February 2022. However, this modification seems to be similar to Apple’s first requests to have builders share related info for knowledge privateness playing cards on the App Retailer, step one within the ATT course of.
This doesn’t essentially imply Google will comply with in Apple’s actual footsteps; nonetheless, some app advertising specialists agree that Google is prone to announce a new coverage limiting entry to the GAID for some type of consent system. Such a coverage will not be anticipated to be as drastic as ATT, however nonetheless represents a possibility for Google to strengthen its grip on Android app promoting.
On this context, the first restrictions introduced round GAID assortment for Youngsters apps are seen to be the primary signal of what might are available in 2022, and app builders ought to count on to name on classes discovered with Apple’s ATT if Google does transfer ahead on this subject.
2. Google to reply to Apple’s new advertising instruments
A somewhat-overlooked reality within the hype round Apple’s new iOS 15 advertising functionalities is how all three (in-app occasions, product web page optimization, customized product pages) share similarities with Google Play instruments and seem to have been impressed by these and developed to take them one step additional. Following Apple’s iOS 15 releases, it appears affordable to count on Google to “reply” Apple and launch and/or enhance its personal instruments.
a. LiveOps to come back out of beta
Earlier than Apple had even introduced in-app occasions on iOS 15, Google had already launched a beta of an analogous instrument known as LiveOps. To this point, the foremost variations between LiveOps and IAE are:
- The lack to particularly goal energetic or lapsed customers (you’ll be able to solely goal new customers or all customers) with LiveOps
- LiveOps’ further “Presents” system that enables builders to advertise reductions, free trials, or giveaways
Although LiveOps had been solely initially obtainable to sure cell video games that had expressed curiosity, we’ve seen Google has begun additionally making LiveOps obtainable to sure cell apps. From our standpoint, it will solely be logical to count on to see the characteristic come out of beta in 2022.
TikTok was among the many first apps noticed utilizing LiveOps on Google Play in December 2021.
b. Customization for retailer itemizing pages on Google Play
A bolder prediction is that Google might launch a product to assist builders customise their app retailer listings for focused audiences via promoting.
Though Apple’s customized product pages appear to attract inspiration from Google’s customized retailer listings, the variations between the 2 options have been appreciable so far: On Google Play, builders can at present solely create as much as 5 customized retailer listings. These listings solely present builders with higher management over what’s proven to customers which have pre-registered for an app’s upcoming launch, and/or are from particular international locations which will present customers sure listings based mostly on machine language, though parts of the web page will not be probably the most related to them.
Provided that Apple permits builders to create as much as 35 CPPs and direct any consumer to a given CPP through a easy URL hyperlink, Google’s customization potentialities appear moderately skinny; because of this, one change we count on to see on the Play Retailer in 2022 regards customized retailer listings.
Contemplating their present kind and design inside Google Play structure, a possible enchancment for customized retailer listings can be the addition of recent “consumer standing” focusing on settings. For instance, Google might permit builders to point out customized retailer listings to energetic customers and/or lapsed customers who will probably be extra prone to redownload an app after studying about new and superior functionalities moderately than the core functionalities usually promoted to new customers.
Google’s presentation of its customized particulars web page for UAC (2020).
A second instrument for customizing retailer listings that we might count on in 2022 issues Common App Campaigns; again in January 2020, Google had teased a performance for its UAC characteristic that might permit advertisers to adapt their retailer listings to an advert’s inventive theme. No additional particulars have been shared since; subsequently, predicting that such a product will probably be launched stays a protracted shot! However, the existence of this mission again in 2020 (mixed with competitors from Apple to quickly make CPPs appropriate with Apple Search Adverts) does make this a possible characteristic for 2022 that app entrepreneurs ought to preserve in the back of their minds.
3. New Google Play design to point out app creatives in search outcomes?
One potential shock 2022 might maintain for Google Play can be the revamp of its search outcomes consumer interface. Though not among the many issues to count on this 12 months particularly, the general pattern of consumer expertise alignment between the 2 main app shops (exemplified as soon as once more in September 2021 when Google diminished its app title size from 50 to 30 characters), mixed with the little-known indisputable fact that Play Retailer end result pages in Japan already present app movies and screenshots are potential clues that Google might take into account revamping its search outcomes UI on the Play Retailer.
4. Apple to improve iOS 15 instruments and enhance Apple Search Adverts
So what may maintain for the App Retailer? Most expectations regard Apple’s not too long ago launched iOS 15 functionalities, whereas a bigger pattern may additionally embrace modifications to Apple Search Adverts and their affect on the shop.
a. Enhancing iOS 15 instruments:
With in-app occasions (IAE) launched on the finish of October 2021 and product web page optimization (PPO) and customized product pages (CPP) in December 2021, it will make sense for many ASO modifications coming to the App Retailer in 2022 to narrate to those new options:
- First, concerning PPO, disillusioned reactions from ASO practitioners that had examined out their first A/B exams will name for Apple to reply, notably to guarantees (not less than perceived as) not stored in regards to theevaluation administration of exams and app builds which can not but happen concurrently. Extra typically, Apple should make its A/B testing instrument extra complete and work to facilitate the asynchronous work between builders and entrepreneurs who each need to make modifications to an app and its product web page.
- Second, in terms of in-app occasions, extra focus will go in direction of theirefficiency measurement and reporting as extra builders will begin experimenting with them. Apple may additionally take into account including extra app classes and/or reviewing its in-app buy promotion instruments to supply builders extra alternatives to advertise short-term offers and reductions like they can on Google Play. This subject will probably be notably scrutinized by apps, after some builders noticed their IAE submissions rejected for Black Friday 2021.
An instance of Apple’s iOS 15 customized product pages on the App Retailer (supply: developer.apple.com).
- Final however not least, many conversations in 2022 will revolve across thecompatibility of customized product pages and well-liked advert networks. Whereas Apple had already introduced CPPs would turn into appropriate with Apple Search Adverts in January 2022, it’s unlikely that efforts will cease there. As Apple seems to be to maintain growing its weight within the app promoting market, a attainable enchancment will probably be to make CPPs appropriate with advert networks counting on Apple applied sciences, reminiscent of SKAdNetwork or SKOverlay, in an effort to additional enhance the adoption of Apple frameworks and applied sciences.
b. New Apple Search Adverts improvements?
One other space the place Apple will probably be prone to make modifications is Apple Search Adverts. A recurring dialog round Apple Adverts is the potential improve of Apple’s stock, whether or not on the App Retailer, Apple apps, or third-party apps. When contemplating the opportunity of new stock throughout the App Retailer, the 2 foremost choices can be as a part of the Apps and Video games tabs or including extra ASA positions in search. Whereas neither is far-fetched, such modifications might conflict with how Apple has aimed to distinguish its retailer to date, particularly with curation being a characteristic typically highlighted by Apple.
A possible ASA innovation to control can be the addition of a consumer standing focusing on possibility: Provided that builders can already specify a goal profile for in-app occasions (selecting between new, energetic, and lapsed customers) and break down app downloads between new and re-downloads of their retailer console, it seems the know-how for extra particular focusing on in Apple Search Adverts might quickly be obtainable and will drive curiosity from advertisers, particularly after CPP turns into appropriate with the community.
5. App Retailer Optimization will tackle new roles
Past the modifications to count on from each main app shops in 2022, the notion of ASO itself and the elevated division of ASO roles between practitioners can also be prone to change in 2022.
First, the ever-blurrier line between paid UA and ASO is prone to create a extra fluid division of duties: As CPPs achieve traction, paid UA will turn into one of many first “purchasers” of ASO groups that share their know-how to design optimum App Retailer property. We count on the 2 (ASO and paid UA) to ultimately merge for some firms that may even recycle paid UA managers for roles that embody each analyzing and optimizing performances of advert campaigns and retailer pages.
Second, we additionally count on to see extra specialization amongst ASO practitioners, with some including worth through the information mining and evaluation features of ASO, whereas others will focus extra on the inventive facet of the apply.